Monday, February 13, 2012

What do you want to be when you grow up?


A question proposed to children besides what’s their favorite color. Adults always seem to find a sense of amusement and just want to be humbled by the question.

 Did you ever just know when you were a child, what you were meant to become?  Sometimes you just need something to refresh your memory. In my case I was shuffling through 20+ years of photos, letters to Santa, school papers, and drawings (my grandma doesn’t throw a thing away). I came across this little jewel. I was a bit surprised that not only was it a sketch of skirts but it had call-outs and a material swatch. 

It jogged a few more memories of the other things I drew sitting at the kitchen table. I was a fashion designer. I had created a name for my line and a logo. Blue Waves Fashion with 3 blue squiggles. It was the 80’s, so the cheesiness seems appropriate.

Now I can’t recall when this drawing (or my fashion line) was done but I would say between ages 7-10.  It wouldn’t be til 10 years later, in the first year of college, I’d realize what I wanted to become…a designer (and yet I clearly knew it as a child).

 Did you ever just know what you were meant to become?

No comments:

Post a Comment